1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

A Silent Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Man Made Disasters' started by ystranc, Jul 7, 2017.

1. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

There are so many ways in which the human race can destroy itself that it has become an almost mundane subject.
    I would like to propose yet another possible scenario, toxicity. Simply put I believe that we have been damaging our environment on a microscopic level for far too long to escape the consequences. Contaminating it with persistent chemicals, plastic micro beads, polyester fragments and other non biodegradable waste.
    We treat every piece of soft furnishing in our homes with fire retardant chemicals that have already been connected with a massive increase in the number of pituitary tumours in household pets (being smaller they could be an indication of things to come, just like a canary in a coal mine)
    Our vehicles are damaging the health of our children and consuming petrochemical resources even faster then we can discard them into landfill as yesterday's consumer goods.
    Since this stuff is already all pervasive in our environment it is in the food chain, the very same food chain that people depend on.:(
    I would suggest that the worldwide environment is like a wounded man, staggering along, as good as dead but he just doesn't know it yet.:crying:

mark wilson, Brownbear and Marwood like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Site Manager Staff Member

yes, big business does not care what damage they inflict on the environment as long as they increase their bank balances, just look at the amount of plastic rubbish now in the oceans and contaminating the wild life, when I was a kid a lot of stuff was washed onto the beaches from ships but it was rope and nets and stuff and not in the amounts it is today, nobody cares anymore, look at the litter everywhere, even in the countryside, on the motorway verges etc.etc.
    a giant reset of humanity is needed and soon.

Brownbear and Marwood like this.
  3. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

It isn't just what is visible though it's the insidious way that these microscopic particles of petrochemical plastic are actually being absorbed into the food chain. Every time you wash a polycotton sheet or piece of polyester fabric it sheds particles into the waste water system, strait through water treatment plants and on to pollute our rivers and seas. Teflon is ubiquitous in our kitchens, it's impossible to buy a baking try that doesn't have it. Pans are coated in it. They even coat kids school uniforms in Teflon to make them appear cleaner. (It's well known that Teflon shouldn't be heated beyond a certain temperature or it gives of toxic compounds that find their way into our food and water courses) we use these things on a daily basis (not me I cook in Pyrex but you understand what I mean) they're already throughout our environment. The waterproofing chemicals applied to proof our boots and jackets wash off to join the water courses, they're persistent as well as being toxic.
    People are storing up trouble for themselves and the consequences are becoming unavoidable even if you do eat organic, live a clean life and prep for the future.

4. lonewolf

plastic is used on everything and everywhere and a lot of it cant be recycled, I mean why do they make plastic that cant be recycled? I think plastic is the worst thing humans ever invented.
    we are just making a rod for our own backs but nobody seems to care.

5. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

Absolutely, LW.
    We've poisoned our air, our water and our food.
    Btw did you know that hormone imbalances caused by previously undiagnosed pituitary tumours are also been linked to obesity and diabetes by some researchers,...... Ring any alarm bells?

Brownbear likes this.
  6. lonewolf

what are you trying to say??:rofl:

Brownbear likes this.
  7. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

Best thread on here so far gents. Degradation of the environment is a really serious issue. Some years back I wne toff tot he Open University to study environment science, some time and a qualification later I sincerely wish I had not opened the Pandora's Box that is mankind's wilful and greedy rape of our planet. Sadly washing out my marmite pot and taking my own bags to the shops is not going to stop it either...............

8. lonewolf

commercial waste is a whole lot worse than anything a residential property throws out and gawd knows there is enough of that if our fortnightly black bag collection is anything to go by.

9. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

That may be the case LW, but we all have our part to play - consuming less reduces, by default, the amount of waste generated by industry, so that's a good place to start.

I've long argued that the best way to stay alive and healthy is to tread lightly ;)

10. lonewolf

the pagan motto has always been something along those lines: "tread lightly upon the earth".

11. mark wilson

mark wilson Well-Known Member

Top thread.

It's an unchangeable affect in my eyes. But to fight it is to fight the very top of the world leaders not the government but the superpowers with all the money...am not sure we are that united to stop it.

12. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

We can be united though Mark, silently and slowly. Whole regimes have been toppled by passive action. If, for example, we all started to avoid plastics as much as possible, the cost of plastics would increase and make them less profitable and manufacturers would find alternative packaging. The technology already exists at a very practical level if you look back to when we were kids - Mars Bars came in a waxed paper wrapping that was folded round them rather than the current plastic wrapper. That was just "normal" back then and most things were packaged the same way. Manufacturers changed to plastic packaging for ease and cheapness not to do us all a favour.

mark wilson likes this.
  13. mark wilson

I agree on that bear. We can be united but to make a difference my friend there has to be solidarity on a massive scale amongst the "normal" population witch won't happen unfortunately....am all for passive actions bear....am not that old that I remember the old mars bars being wrapped in wax paper:rofl:
    Making a difference one step at a time is how I teach my kids and hopefully how they will teach there's. A total boycott of companies is what's needed and I struggle to see that happening mate

Brownbear likes this.
  14. lonewolf

I remember my dear old mum saving grease proof paper and silver foil, now even in the countryside fools drop litter all over the place, we found 2 plastic bottles on our daily walk only yesterday, and the motorway verges and lay by's are all full of the stuff.

15. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

I think it can happen Mark and would not need to be an organised boycott for it to happen. To give an example of that, most stores not predominantly sell Fairtraid bananas. That came about as consumers mostly bought Fairtraid and it became in the interest of supermarkets to switch over. The same can happen if we seek out items with less packaging in preference to those with a lot of packaging. A very quiet and peaceful revolution.

mark wilson likes this.
  16. mark wilson

A do agree with that when it's put that way and I do buy fairtrade.

Brownbear likes this.
  17. Keith

Keith Active Member

I think we have reduced our environmental footprint about as much as we can given the world situation at present. Yes we need vehicles for transport, but we also live in & manage a forest which offsets any pollution from our vehicles & probably that of many other vehicles. We are on solar power, so although dirty power may have been used to produce our solar system, we are no longer contributing to that dirty power. If we did not have to pay rates/taxes, then we would not have to earn a wage. If we did not have to earn a wage at a job in the city, then a horse & cart would suffice for transport. But so long as this system, this lifestyle persists, then we are tied to it & can only do the best we can with what we have to work with.
    We make our own cloth shopping bags:)
    Keith.

mark wilson likes this.
  18. lonewolf

UNTIL the system breaks down there isn't very much we as individuals can do, people still need petrol and diesel vehicles to get to work, whether that is car, truck or bus.
    people and businesses will still make waste and leave rubbish all over the place, I know a certain person who wont recycle because he's not going to do the councils job for free so he does nothing.
    I see litter all around and its not collected anymore, all that stuff is put out to tender and its lowest price wins and the least gets done, if we are really bothered we have to go around with a bag and collect it ourselves, which I and the wife do sometimes when it gets too bad.

Keith and mark wilson like this.
  19. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

I think the system can be changed from the bottom up, it will be a slow change but slow changes tend to last longest. Eventually the costs of extracting oil will make driving prohibitively expensive and people will move away from the internal combustion engine. Less goods will be imported and the economy will return to a post war level, the question is when will that happen?

Keith likes this.
  20. lonewolf

not in our lifetimes baring a SHTF event.

Keith likes this.