1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Animals In A Post Fall World.

Discussion in 'Post SHTF' started by Prime, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Prime

Prime Active Member

As a point of discussion - Scenario is the event is global and long term - no real government or law exists or likely to return , Food is what you can either grow or find. Remaining Population is thinned out but aggression levels are high.

Question - apart from Animals which are directly related to Food Production themselves ( So Chickens for Meat and Eggs , Goats for Milk ) which other animals would you consider keeping and why? Bear in min the animal will have to justify its place as it will need caring for also.

I have a few ideas on this myself but interested in which animals you would consider as a NON-FOOD asset??

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Site Manager Staff Member

dog or dogs for security.
    horse, pony or donkey for transport or as a pack animal.
    feral cat for rat and mice duty.

3. Prime

Prime Active Member

And I'll liven this up with a secondary consideration - what about additional animals between communities.

4. lonewolf

communal/shared animals you mean? "community" isn't my thing so i'll leave it up to you to elaborate.

5. Kublai

Kublai Member

Ferrets/polecats the finest harvesters of meat you can have. They don't take up much room, are relatively easy to look after. If you have a good head of bunnies in your area, then you have meat--full stop. Highly underrated animal.

Phil and Prime like this.
  6. Prime

Prime Active Member

I was thinking the possibilities of using Homing Pigeons as messengers between communities.

lonewolf likes this.
  7. Prime

Prime Active Member

Indeed Ferrets would be on my list as well.

8. lonewolf

i'm not sure how that would work, they are usually taken to a location, then released to fly back to their home loft, they would have to be trained to fly between the two, if they haven't been trained before SHTF happens then it wont work post SHTF. you'd let them out and you'd just lose them or they'd fly round in circles.

9. Prime

Prime Active Member

Can't think of any reason for them to not work LW and i am talking a long term post event scenario. They could be trained in the immediate vicinity and then exchanged ( via slow time ) with mutually trading/supporting communities to aid comms in a fast communication scenarios.

Pretty sure we didn't have time to train them during WWII Etc?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_pigeon

Must admit I have no direct working knowledge of them.

10. Keith

Keith Active Member

We keep chooks, & occasionally sheep. If we were to get any more sheep then I guess I would consider a breed for milking. That is about it. Animals do take a lot of caring for, & they can also be a liability. Been there & done that & I will not be getting into keeping any other animals.
    Keith.

11. lonewolf

i'm just saying they have to be trained, you cant just let them out and expect them to fly between 2 places, they will just fly around in a circle then go back to their home loft. whether anyone would get around to training them in the run up to a SHTF event is debateable and its debateable whether in a life changing event that the 2 places will still exist or still have people living in them post event, a serious event may make the places unliveable in, in which case any training has been a waste of time.
    if you read the wiki entry it states that they carried messages "by flying back to their home roost" so they have to be taken to the message release point by humans. in normal times this is done by a huge lorry carrying maybe up to a thousand birds at a time, I have seen it happen and its something to watch.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  12. lonewolf

for meat animals post SHTF I think we should be looking at smaller animals, say chickens and ducks for meat and eggs, rabbits for meat, guinea pigs can be bred for meat too, all these animals don't take up a huge space.
    for sheep i'm very interested in the smaller breeds, Soy sheep for instance. of course whatever breed of sheep you decide on you'll need a good well trained sheep dog, catching them by yourself is not for the amateur.
    don't forget fish can be farmed too, there are lots of fishing lakes in my area.
    and don't rule out wild birds too for both meat and eggs, all birds eggs can be eaten although some taste better than others! sea birds eggs can be overwhelmingly "fishy" to the taste! or so i'm told.
    there are plenty of wild boar about- if you can find them. ditto deer.
    if you put a fish trap in most of our rivers you may be able to catch the larger American Signal Crayfish, if you do you will be doing our native smaller crayfish a favour.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Keith likes this.
  13. Phil

Phil Member

Lots of peoples eat dogs and horses,goats also provide meat,in the middles ages most milk fort cheese came from sheep.
    Don't forget the larger snails and a worm farm will provide protein as well.
    Being close to the sea would be a good idea as within 4 or 5 years many of the overfished areas will recover.
    People used to complain about having salmon too often!

14. lonewolf

most dogs post SHTF will go feral as will the cats, horses especially riding horses are a bit skittish you've got to catch them first.
    goats are okay but are good escape artists as are sheep, you'll need to look to your fencing.
    snails and worm farm is a good idea, both have to be cleansed through before you can eat them I believe.
    fishing if near the sea, but this can be time consuming, netting or trapping would be more rewarding I think.

15. Prime

Prime Active Member

Estuary or rivers with Gill Nets and crab traps work a treat .

Phil and lonewolf like this.
  16. Phil

Phil Member

Dog trapping will be fun.
    I was planning on a couple of horses for transport.
    Fishing wise traps,nets and setlines,not rod fishing are the way to go,fancy a few putchers.

17. lonewolf

i'll be trapping for a lot of things, not especially dogs, if I could get hold of a few before they go feral that would be more useful than eating them.
    horses are okay, plenty of "pony paddocks" around here, but riding horses tend to be a bit flighty, a bit of flapping plastic in the hedge and there off! I prefer donkeys to horses, maybe a Shetland pony or two.

18. Phil

Phil Member

With Shetlands some are OK but others are nasty little sods imo,I've been kicked and bitten by them.
    If you've got a good steady cob,then they can be fine its the more highly bred ones to go apeshit at lots of things.
    I once had one take off with me as we were passing an old combine left in the corner of a fielf,it had been there of ages and the stupid sod had passed it numerous times before without any probs.
    On the plus side in once got to ride an Ex race horse,that was superb,now that was down in Devon,but I can't remember where.

19. lonewolf

probably south Devon, the land here is too hilly for race horses.

20. Phil

Phil Member

I find woodies quite easy to catch with rabbit cage traps,just put a little grain in the tread plate and they are happy to oblige.At present get about a dozen coming for a bit of grain each day.

Yes you'd need a couple of dogs for alarm duties, control of sheep and coursing a bunny or two.
    Small terriers whippets etc are good for ratting as well.

There's a pub near me that breeds guinea pigs so assured of a supply.