1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Animals.

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by lonewolf, Jun 25, 2016.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Site Manager Staff Member

from a prepper point of view we aren't necessarily going to be keeping large animals like cows or even sheep in our back gardens:D
    we should focus on smaller animals that can be kept in pens or small cages, maybe in a large shed or two.
    stuff like chickens, rabbits, pheasants, maybe a duck or two, guinea pigs.

Offgrid hero likes this.
  2. mole trapper

mole trapper New Member

Quail too, partridge worked well, gleanies (guinea fowl) are great for telling you foxy is about and great eating, downside is I had to shoot one every time I wanted one for the table because they're VERY free range.
    Pheasants, I really like as they are easy to keep relatively close with feeders with the added bonus of attracting woodies and squirrels

Offgrid hero likes this.
  3. lonewolf

geese are good watchdogs too and boy, do they make a racket!!

1 shot willie likes this.
  4. Prime

Prime Active Member

I think one of the most prolific animals to consider for converting plant matter into meat ( Insects aside ) are Rabbits , their ability to grow and speed of their reproduction whilst being able to convert plant matter makes them a prime candidate for a Self Reliant Individual to consider for long term meat growth and production.

There are plenty of Vids on YT about growing a large amount of Rabbits for Harvest in a small area ( personal ethics aside ) so a small outbuilding could easily get converted to a Rabbit Farm.

Shame i'm not much a fan of the taste - but there you go!

5. lonewolf

I love rabbit meat, just remember we cannot survive on rabbit meat on its own i.e. "rabbit starvation".

6. Prime

Prime Active Member

Indeed , and for those interested :- http://knowledgenuts.com/2015/01/21/how-to-starve-to-death-while-stuffing-yourself-with-rabbit-meat/

I feel most prepper types should get a basic grounding in Human physiology , to just get to a level where they can understand ( slightly beyond the basics ) of what the human body needs to survive and conversely what kills it.

I like Cody Lundins Two books but his first is the better one to learn about Human Requirements for Survival.

https://wordery.com/986-the-art-of-...dZM3dPTkE9PQ&gclid=CLi8kJLJ_dECFeMp0wodvk8I2g

7. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

Rabbit meat is great if you just eat plenty of greens with it and vary your diet, It's not complicated.

Brownbear and Marwood like this.
  8. lonewolf

rabbit meat is too lean you need a lump of fat with it.

9. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

It's the lack of vitamins in it that will kill you though, digesting rabbit uses more vitamins than it provides. Treating rabbit as raw protein and adding carbs (as animal fat just like you say) and also essential vitamins from green veg like kale, winter greens etc will negate the rabbit starvation.
    Starvation is a misnomer anyway, it's malnutrition. The same way people who live on sugary snacks for energy while never eating a proper meal lack stamina and have vitamin deficiency.

Brownbear and Marwood like this.
  10. lonewolf

living on rabbit meat ALONE for any length of time is what will kill you, there are stories of miners in the mountains of the old west dying from rabbit malnutrition in the winter because that is all they could catch and no greens growing during the winter months, snowed in too so they couldn't get any supplies from town.

11. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

Yup, it's important to balance your diet. Incidentally my favourite rabbit recipe is rabbit parfait served on hot toast (home made) served with a small bowl of thick nettle soup.
    I derive a lot of satisfaction from getting my own back on both rabbits and nettles, call me vindictive if you like. Lol

12. lonewolf

i'm partial to game stew myself:p

13. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

Now you're talking my language Lonewolf I love wild meat. Fur, fish or fowl. I may be the worlds slowest butcher but there's something about eating game, especially if you know where it came from. Plenty of veggies and maybe a bit of home-brew and you have a meal fit for anyone.

Marwood likes this.
  14. lonewolf

wild game is good, its lean and dosent have the additives of processed meat, you know its had a good life much better than commercial meat species.

Marwood and ystranc like this.
  15. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

They died from vitamin A deficiency - that's what's missing in mr rabbit.