1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Bargain Buys

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Harry Palmer, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Active Member

If you come across a bargain, list it here

I just came back from Tesco who are selling boxes of 50 spectacle wipes for £1, ingredients are water and alcohol...same as standard alcohol wipes for your FAK. I put a match to a wipe and it lit so at 2p each its worth getting a few boxes in.

swamp rat likes this.
  2. Vigilance

Vigilance Member

Do they dry out?

3. Harry Palmer

Open the pouch and they dry out quick enough, the alcohol does that of course.

Vigilance likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

I was looking in Poundland for some food pouches I saw mentioned elsewhere, but our local branch(20 miles each way) has shut down its camping section for the winter. its all Halloween crap in there now.

5. Vigilance

Vigilance Member

It's that time of year when the city come knocking on the door expecting things because they like the occult.

6. swamp rat

swamp rat Active Member

IDShot_225x225.jpg
    I tried these this week 20p for 4 , and they are very tasty and quite thick
    they do chicken ones

7. Keith

Keith Moderator Staff Member

If one has already got a finished backpack, then no matter what the bargain, you don't need it. The exception would be food items. I know I keep saying this, but it is worth people keeping it in mind. Skills are like having your "bug out" pack ready to go. Skills are important, & no offence intended Harry, but if you need to purchase anything for making fire, then you either don't have the right equipment yet, or you don't have the skills.
    I do NOT need to carry a cigarette lighter plus a ferocerium rod, plus matches, or plus anything else. My flint, steel & tinderbox will make fire anywhere, any time in any & all weather conditions. Sooner or later those spectacle wipes, Vaseline cotton balls, lighter, & matches will run out, & that ferocerium rod can break down/corrode & or break. This is NOT being prepared, this is false security & it could cost you & yours your lives.
    Just my opinion.
    [​IMG]
    Keith.

Vigilance likes this.
  8. lonewolf

I like the way you think Keith! the old traditional ways are the best, they have stood the test of time, and without a manufacturing base post SHTF all the modern equipment will eventually fail, break, rust or otherwise be used up.

Keith likes this.
  9. Keith

Keith Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

10. Harry Palmer

No offence Keith but I bought them to clean my specs and keep a few in the FAK NOT for firelighting of which I use various techniques.

I started this thread to let others know of bargains and not for you to launch one of your typical diatribes so stay on track please.

38thfoot likes this.
  11. lonewolf

Lidl's middle sections are always worth checking each time one goes in, they've got packets of Jerky and Biltong this week.

Keith likes this.
  12. Harry Palmer

I've had some good bargains from Lidl over the years. I popped into one of their stores on Cyprus...they are everywhere these days. Do you make your own Jerky LW?

13. lonewolf

not as yet, I have tried some of these commercial jerky's and find them fairly overspiced for my liking, haven't tried this one in Lidl yet as its new in store.

14. Harry Palmer

You can pick up a dehydrator for about £30 LW, they pay for themselves in no time. Tesco sell 40g packs of Jerky for £1.50 which works out at £37.50 a KILO!!!!!

15. lonewolf

yes it was the Tesco Jerky I tried and it was too spicy for my palette.

16. Harry Palmer

You can make a marinade from all sorts of things, I like to use red wine, port, sherry, sugar etc. Don't skimp on the cut of meat you use, I tend to use Sirloin which I put in the freezer for a couple of hours not to freeze the meat but to make it 'firm' which makes it very easy to slice (I use an electric slicer for uniformity of slice). LW, you grow fruit and veg, get a dehydrator and dry the produce...I'm very surprised you don't own a drier.

Bargain here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VonShef-5...300341&hash=item41ac8ee8c5:g:aJkAAOSwUuFW1bK3

17. lonewolf

oh we had a drier back along but it wasn't that good, you can dry stuff fairly easily on the dashboard of a car inside the windscreen on a not particularly hot day.
    I heard of someone back along who used their airing cupboard.

18. Harry Palmer

I don't fancy drying a a kilo of Sirloin or a couple of kilos of peas on the dashboard of my disco LOL

You need a constant SAFE temperature to dry your food, you need to make sure you kill those germs off :) In the past I've dried and or smoked food on an open fire, but while the power is on I use a drier...just for safety to be honest. Go on, splash out thirty quid and I'll post lots of tips on drying and storing :)

19. lonewolf

I was thinking more the odd bit of fruit.
    I used to store fruit in the winter in a previous property, in an old chest of drawers, lined out with newspapers and egg trays, some veg too, in a cool dark bedroom, it kept most of the winter.

20. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

If I want to dry food I use the lower oven of my Rayburn. I also use that oven to dry the following mornings firewood.