1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Birmingham Refuse Strike.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by lonewolf, Aug 11, 2017.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf administrator and forum manager. Staff Member

I don't know if you've been watching the news, but there is an ongoing bin strike in Birmingham which has been going on for some time, weeks if not longer.
    the refuse bags are piling up on the street and they are stinking to high heaven, and are a haven for cats, rats, flies and maggots, disease is rife, some attempt is being made by locals to clear some of it but I think its a case of too little too late.
    its something we should all be aware of as this will also be a factor, especially in the cities, for post shtf/post collapse, only then it wont be a few weeks it will be a permanent problem.
    I have always said disease will kill more people post collapse than violence will.

mark wilson and Keith like this.
  2. Keith

Keith Active Member

Good post, yes I have seen the results of this before. I don't think the masses have any idea how bad it can get to "Bug In" in the cities. Admittedly this is something I myself failed to mention when ticking off all the pros & cons of bugging in & bugging out.
    Wait & see what happens if people start setting it on fire!
    Keith.

Rubbish_Birmingham_UK.jpg

3. Keith

Keith Active Member

4. Keith

Keith Active Member

This edit limit time on this site is a pain in the rear!!! No idea why the image would not post & no time given to change it.
    Keith.

5. lonewolf

I did notice on the tv report the heaps of unwashed tins with food residue inside, this is what is attracting the flies and rats, I know people who wont clean out their tins, I see it every Friday morning.
    we wash out our tins, remove the label, and crush them by standing on them, the standard reply is that it takes too long but it takes less than the time I have used to type this out.
    post event this sort of thing is going to spread disease but you cant expect the masses to comprehend this.

Keith likes this.
  6. lonewolf

our ancient ancestors used to dig pits into which they would bury their rubbish, post shtf we will have to do the same.
    in the boy scouts we were taught to throw tins on the fire to burn out any food waste so not to attract pests.

Keith likes this.
  7. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

The Welsh for rubbish is Ysburiel, literally to go into a hole and be buried.
    As a child My immediatte family relocated to Liverpool, during the 70's. Moving from a rural area from just outside Belfast to the rubbish filled hell of a general strike.

Keith likes this.
  8. Keith

Keith Active Member

The fire also burns off the tinning & they rust & break down faster in the ground. Once the tins & packaged foods are finished, there won't be any rubbish to dispose of.
    Keith.

9. lonewolf

this is true Keith, how long the remaining tinned food lasts depends on how many survivors and how they act, but it probably wont be a long time.

Keith likes this.
  10. lonewolf

I was more concerned about the disease angle, from rotting food and other non food items, also there is the human waste/sewage to contend with once the mains shut down, some can be composted, most can be buried but a lot will just be dumped anywhere, in hedges, ditches and rivers, by the sheeple, that's when the disease gets to its worst point.
    it'll be worst in cities of course due to the sheer weight of numbers.
    and the sheer weight of all that ####.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Keith likes this.
  11. Keith

Keith Active Member

Long drops are the way to go, deep holes in the garden. Toilet & garbage can all go in the same holes. Holes or trenches, pits. Needs covering as you go though. Wood ash is good.
    Keith.

12. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

Most UK households aren't even equipped to dig a hole, let alone a hole deep enough to use as anything more then an overnight latrine.
    I can dig one in a few minutes using post hole diggers but not everyone has them...even out here in the sticks.
    Since the clean air acts came into force very few town homes have wood burners, wood ash is a country thing.

Just another example of how the odds are stacked against city dwellers

Keith likes this.
  13. lonewolf

unless someone is a gardener, not many of them here let alone in a city, then they wont even have a spade .

Keith likes this.
  14. swamp rat

swamp rat New Member

totally agree about the rubbish and the disease killing a lot of people but I think water will be the biggest thing
    unclean water will be the biggest killer
    like LW says about people dumping rubbish in rivers ,

Keith and ystranc like this.
  15. lonewolf

not sure how long people would live drinking unclean water, probably a lot longer than no water, but it still wouldn't be a good way to go, having a decent water filter or knowing how to make a DIY one would save a lot of lives.
    I don't even expect the sheeple to know water should at the very least be boiled first, why should they when all they have known is mains water from a tap??

Keith likes this.
  16. lonewolf

I expect a high mortality rate for the first few weeks and probably months after any event, from disease,
    starvation and accidents.

Keith likes this.
  17. swamp rat

swamp rat New Member

agree this will be more of a problem than most sheeple could ever comprehend

Keith likes this.
  18. lonewolf

the trouble is any non prepper wont give it a first thought never mind a second one until something actually happens, by which time its too late to do anything constructive, all they can do is grab a few tins and a couple of packs of water off the supermarket shelf before everything shuts down and the deliveries stop, and that's just delaying the inevitable.

Keith likes this.
  19. lonewolf

I see the bin strike has been going on for 6 weeks but the binmen have now stated that they may continue the strike until Christmas!! lets hope that's just a threat and dosent actually happen or a plague of flies and rats will be the least of the problems!!
    cholera springs immediately to mind.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Keith likes this.
  20. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

I always thought Birmingham was a bit of a dump but since most of the water collected in the dams in West Wales is piped to the Midlands clean water won't be a problem until the pumping stations fail.

Keith likes this.