1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Blackout Britain.

Discussion in 'Man Made Disasters' started by lonewolf, Dec 20, 2016.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Site Manager Staff Member

Festive electricity cuts and power crisis predicted for the new year.
    read the whole story here: http://www.rt.com/uk/ 370735-blackout-electricity-bills-rise
    okay it probably wont happen-this time- but one day it will, they can only put it off for so long, the reserves get less and less every year, one day there will be NO reserves left, (and its not just power that applies to)what will YOU do when the lights go off? maybe for a long time, maybe permanently.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    Brownbear and Keith like this.
  2. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

Predicted by "Russia Today" a Putinist propaganda news station given to specifically undermine western democracy - just how seriously should we be taking this??

3. lonewolf

I keep an eye on RT news, you have to take some of it with a pinch of salt, but Britain has been running out of power reserves, not just electric but gas too, for many years so that much is true.

4. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

Our "reserves" in terms of electricity actually do not exist as stuff, it is an unstorable resource, yes our power stations are getting older and less efficient but the installation of solar and wind generators are more than balancing that out (in fact the proportion of solar electricity is now up to something around 15% of national power generation). It is a quiet revolution but one that has profound benefits for future energy usage.

Biogas is also catching on (although, ironically most of what we get is piped in from the Netherlands because as ever our piss and wind governments are lagging behind with the latest technology). I get all my gas from Biogas and all my electricity from Solar (or derivative as we take an equivalent amount as it all goes into the national grid etc).

I would be looking more to the national grid as a source of weakness than power generation.

5. lonewolf

its the relays and connectors that are the weak point, every year during the first winter storms there are blackouts, what if these became long term or even permanent, or there wasn't enough workers because of a flu epidemic?
    last winter we came very close to demand outstripping supply, we have closed or are closing many coal fired and diesel power stations, Hinckley Point C wont be up and running until 2023 or even later and still the population is growing. and most new houses are all electric, no chimneys.
    solar and wind generators are increasing and that is good- I don't like nuclear- but its not nearly enough.
    gas reserves were down to 3 days normal supply last winter.

6. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

Ask yourself what will actually happen if there is a blackout? Hospitals etc all have generators and battery sheds. OK, so the lights will go out for a bit for "business" and I say so what, the world won't grind to a halt because an insurance company employee is unable to read a valuable and critical email. We managed ok during the power cuts of the three day week (actually as a kid it was all rather a big adventure). /we need to look beyond the "shock/horror" stories and really consider how we as individuals would be affected. I suspect it will be less than it initially appears :)

mark wilson likes this.
  7. lonewolf

i'm not talking power cuts i'm talking power loss, possibly permanent and probably long term.
    I was told that to replace all the relays and other gismo's in the power grid (say an EMP or a solar storm)would take 2 years, that's if they had the engineers to do it, no units are kept "on the shelf" they have to be made by "special order" and they are made abroad- probably China- and each takes 2 months to make.
    can you see the population of this country sitting meekly in the dark for 2 years? no, me neither, there would be mass riots and social disorder.

8. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

But I do not envisage a power outage on that scale - what you are envisaging is a total power loss scenario - which, to date, we have not yet had :)

9. lonewolf

not yet.
    like lots of things don't dismiss them because they haven't happened yet.

10. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

Not dismissal, but seeing them as less likely than some other scenarios :)

11. lonewolf

some scenarios are less likely than others but that dosent mean they wont happen, anything is possible, I rule nothing out.
    what is it they say?" there is nothing certain in life except death and taxes!":)

12. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

I take your point, but I do believe that one should prioritise preparation for the more probable events.

mark wilson and Prime like this.
  13. lonewolf

start with the more obvious possibilities first I agree, that's where we all started.

Brownbear likes this.
  14. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

There are possible ways to generate power locally either by photovoltaic or wind power, even if you can't generate a huge amount you could probably run the bare necessities. This is not dependant on the national grid.

Communications and travel could become an major issue as electrified trains and fuel filling stations fail stranding unprepared people. large supermarkets would be unable to store refrigerated foods even if the foods could be produced and distributed meaning that the unprepared could also go hungry

Either total loss or temporary of power can be mitigated by good preparation on our part

15. lonewolf

preparation needs to be done before hand, these things may not be possible after the event.

16. ystranc

ystranc Active Member

Absolutely

17. lonewolf

I'm not a great lover of electricity and technology-you might have noticed :p, i'll use what is available until it is gone, i'm a bit of a Neo-Luddite in that respect, I hate light pollution, white goods noise, traffic fumes and aircraft noise, when these things are gone i'm not going to lose sleep over them, I've planned a simple post SHTF life where things are reduced to a basic lifestyle.
    I don't believe the sheeple will be able to exist without these things-if comments I've heard elsewhere (internet, mobile phones etc.) are anything to go by.

ystranc, Brownbear and Marwood like this.
  18. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

Only as a stand alone system, during "power cuts" home generation power from systems attached to the grid are currently shut off. So even if we all had solar panels on our roofs (the obvious solution to power shortage) at present it would not be of benefit to others that are "on grid".

19. mark wilson

mark wilson Well-Known Member

A see the point in what your saying lone..personally a don't think it will shut down completely...ever... and the progress of reusable power is getting stronger so in time it won't be a problem. For a total shutdown there would have to be many factors in play...not impossible but highly unlikely.....

If all probabilities came together and the grid went down then we would have to be on high alert for the idiots to be roaming around taking advantage of the situation ....looters.
    A don't think life as we know it would change much.....so preparation for this would be simple....adapt....no need for generators and storage of fuel that's just prolonging the inevitable and advertising your home.

Brownbear likes this.
  20. lonewolf

it wont take much to shut down the grid, for several winters running the demand has come within hours of outstripping supply and its only because some old diesel power stations were available that it didn't happen, these old stations wont be available in the future. in America some nutters with AK47s shut down a sub station and put many areas into blackout just by shooting at it, cyber attacks are also possible, every winter we have blackouts after some trees come down in a storm taking the overhead lines with them, i'm just saying it is a possibility and I for one am not discounting it.
    solar power is okay but I think its fed directly into the national grid, I think I read somewhere it is not possible to store it.
    i'm in agreement with you, generators and storing fuel is only delaying the inevitable, once the fuel stores are used up- with no new supplies being refined or delivered this wouldn't be long, that generator would just be another garden ornament.
    Looters? in or around the cities and larger urban centres this might be a problem, the further away one is from these population centres the less of a problem it will be.