1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Common Uk Ammuntion Post Fall

Discussion in 'Post SHTF' started by Prime, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Prime

Prime Active Member

The if you truly want to apply that twisted logic you can do it to everything a Prepper puts aside.

Tools
    Water
    Food
    Clothing

Ad Nauseam

If you wish to apply that then everything you practice should be about taking the raw materials directly form the ground in a near primitive manner.

Good luck with that.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Site Manager Staff Member

nope that wont work, we have had our industrial revolution and its not going to happen again in our lifetimes, mother nature wont give us a second bite of the cherry, so I wouldn't rely on finding any raw materials in the ground post collapse. if we cant find anything in nature then we are going to have to do without it.

3. Prime

Prime Active Member

I just don't understand the belief that anything that will be consumed over time ( ammunition - food - clothes ) is not worth the investment of time and energy.

Of course Ammunition gets used up but potentially a single brick of 223 ammunition is potentially a secured Deer Kill x 100 whilst others are potentially starving.

Also it assumes the ONLY scenario is everything going off line forever. Which is seemingly your default stance.
    I have a far broader anticipation of what i consider realistic and some unrealistic prepping is.

To me its worth the investment.

4. lonewolf

when the manufacturing or external supply system fails, what we've got is what we've got, its finite and will be used up, whether that is slow or fast depends on the item or what it is used for.

5. Prime

Prime Active Member

Isn't that really just stating the obvious?

Like I've stated and asked - if that is your viewpoint - why prep in physical terms at all?? You seem to be advocating either the obvious or not putting aside materials at all.

6. lonewolf

the reason for having a stockpile is for when we cant obtain either fresh(hunting, foraging) or replace what we have used(because the shops are empty) but mostly because there will be a time scale when its just not safe to go out-the hunker down period.
    its not meant to last the rest of our lives, nor will it, its a fall back contingency.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  7. Phil

Phil Member

You can reload all types of cartridge,prvided they are centre fire.
    All clay clubs will hold very large numbers of cartridges, often in the tens of thousands.
    If you broke down a 12 bore cartridge you'd have enough powder to reload a .38 special or 9 mm round a number of times depending on the number of grains in the 12 bore cartridge.
    As very often shotgun and these cartridges are load with the same powders.You would of course have to be very careful and start with minimum loads.
    There is still iron ore,copper and coal in Britian that could be mined,it just cheaper at present to import.
    If you can make grain alcohol(or used Vodka) then you can make homeopathic medicines,if you can make distilled water and have a solar charged battery bank then you can make colloidal silver,even just a metre of 1.5mm wire will last a life time.

8. lonewolf

guns are okay if your talking about defence in the urban mad time post shtf, but for hunting they are too noisy and will give away ones location, I prefer something quieter.
    I can hear people shooting in the woods over a mile away, in the post shtf when there is no background noise, traffic or aircraft noise we will be able to hear for longer distances.

9. Prime

Prime Active Member

Guns ( Or Firearms ) are in my opinion a required tool for the serious prepper - even if we ignore the self defence aspect as a means to obtain a variety of small and large game for eating and getting a back store of provisions for the colder harder hungrier months they are I feel most needed.

As for noise reports and giving away ones locations all firearms can be equipped with Moderators to lessen the sound.
    The biggest thing most likely to give ones position away ( if thats a concern and issue ) would be wood smoke in my opinion.

10. lonewolf

i'm mostly talking about shotguns in my area not target rifles, most farmers seem to have at least one shotgun even if it was granddads or even great granddads. its shotguns I hear, I can tell by the noise, shotguns have a distinct noise.
    smoke can be diffused by several different methods, most is caused by using green or damp wood not seasoned, cooking can be done after dark when the smoke wont be seen.

11. Prime

Prime Active Member

12. lonewolf

never seen a moderated shotgun, ones I've seen are all standard ones.

13. Phil

Phil Member

A thing to remember about noise, is that most people, need to hear the same noise at least twice to be able to point in the originating direction.
    The first bang alerts them ,it's the second one that tells the which direction.

14. Prime

Prime Active Member

Everyday is a school day then. Glad I could help with the education a little.

15. lonewolf

I still haven't seen a moderated one, got any piccies?

16. Prime

Prime Active Member

Attention to detail LW!!

My 2nd post up i link the Hushpower range of moderated Shotguns.

17. lonewolf

that's some lump!

18. Prime

Prime Active Member

Thats the cost of Quiet.

Bows and Crossbows maybe quiet but they lack ( in my opinion ) the specific range and accuracy for small game at distance - I'm happy to be proven wrong on that if someone can show a reasonable case for why i'm not correct.

19. lonewolf

depends what kind of distance you mean? bows and crossbows have been used to hunt game over the centuries without much trouble. accuracy is just down to practise, practise, practise.
    plenty of bow hunting videos on youtube.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  20. Prime

Prime Active Member

Cheapskates - I'm bumping this thread for your information.

Hope it helps.