1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

David Attenborough: On Climate Change, Optimism And Blue Planet Ii

Discussion in 'Man Made Disasters' started by Keith, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Keith

Keith Moderator Staff Member

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

apart from when he talks about brexit that is.
    stick to the day job David.

Brownbear likes this.
  3. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

We're all entitled to an opinion LW. I respect his opinions on both brexit and bugs. He was only telling the truth when he said that the British public were not made aware of how complicated brexit would actually be and how politicians dumbed down the debate with soundbite statements instead informed arguments.

4. lonewolf

the question on the referendum paper said" do you think we should stay in the EU or leave?".
    sounds a simple enough question to me:rolleyes:

5. ystranc

True but a little more informed debate and a lot less misinformation and wishful thinking would have been a good idea first. Then all this stuff about payments, customs unions and borders between Northern and southern Ireland could have been taken out into the light and examined properly instead of being dismissed as scare tactics.

6. lonewolf

the referendum has come and gone and we all know the result, its time to move on and get on with it, all these delays by the EU so called negotiators is getting on my wick.

7. ystranc

Again true, the referendum has come and gone and I accept the result. We are leaving the European Union. The arguments are all about how we leave it. A clean break without an agreement would sever us from 70% of our international trading partners, splitting up assets of multi national companies and financial institutions, costing British jobs. The US views us as a potential market place, not a trading partner and most of the commonwealth are either too far away to economically trade with or don't want/need/can't afford what we have to trade.
    Australia already does a hell of a lot of its trade with the Pacific rim countries and Canada's main trading partner is the US...We will be out on a limb without any kind of settlement, like the kid in the corner of the playground, Billy-no-mates.
    The fact that we're one of the largest 3 economies currently in Europe will also hurt European companies if we leave with no settlement which will in turn hurt British banks, damaging our economy further.
    It's like a shin kicking contest where no shouts "sufficient", no one can walk away without getting badly hurt first so we must negotiate.

8. lonewolf

rubbish, we only do about 48% of our trading with the EU, and they sell more to us then we sell to them, so its advantageous to them to get a good deal, not if Barnier has anything to do with it it wont.
    the remaining trade we do with the rest of the world, many countries are already lining up to do trade deals with us once we leave.
    this country is a proud trading nation, its what we do best, even Hitler called us a nation of shopkeepers, and we will do well once we are out from under the jackboot of the EU.
    tighter controls are in the offing for the EU, an European army in waiting and all countries will have to use the failed Euro as their national currency.
    I think, like a lot of people do, that we are getting out just in time.
    most of the population would never have voted to stay in the "common market" back in the 70s, it was sold as a trading market nothing more and people would never have voted for a political union, they would be appalled at the shinanigans of the so called ruling classes.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  9. ystranc

Agreed that the future of the EU looks non too rosey as a federation of states but not agreed that we won't suffer financially if we leave without a deal. You personally might be ok but there is a complex network of interdependence to pick apart. As with everything there will be some that gain and others that will lose.

10. lonewolf

I don't think the EU has ANY future without the billions of pounds this country pays into their coffers, I think that is what these "trade" talks are all about-money, they want it but they cant make up their minds on how much, I say send us an itemised invoice and we'll talk about it, but plucking figures out of the sky isn't negotiating. but that's the EU for you. bullshit and bluster is all they know.
    I don't think its us who will suffer without a trade deal, the EU has far more to lose than us.
    we should have left the day after May was made PM and talked about trade deals afterwards, that's it, we're leaving, we're gone, goodbye, should have accompanied Article 50.
    I don't want excuses, I want action, and now.

Brownbear likes this.
  11. ystranc

Even by your very conservative estimate which ignores financial services, arts and technology (which account for 80% of our exports) losing 48% would still cripple our economy, can you name a single company in our nation of shop keepers that can afford to lose half its customers. Those who believe that the rest of the world will be queuing up to trade with us on our terms are delusional. Japanese investment is already drying up, our credit score is dropping making international credit more expensive.

Harry Palmer likes this.
  12. lonewolf

so i'm delusional? suit yourself. no further comment.

13. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Active Member

Brexit = the death of the UK economy.

14. lonewolf

that's your opinion.
    what do you care? I thought you were leaving to go and live in NZ?

15. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Active Member

Indeed I am LW :)

16. swamp rat

swamp rat Active Member

I voted to leave, it is time for this government to regain control, we cant let other country tell us what to do
    yes we are going to upset them, and they will throw their toys out of the pram for a bit
    but it is in there interest to sort it out, I is not just a one way ticket

Brownbear likes this.
  17. lonewolf

the decision has been taken and we are leaving.
    I do wish people would stop knocking our country, if they don't like it here then they should leave.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017