1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Growing potatoes in tyres.

Discussion in 'Crops' started by lonewolf, Feb 8, 2016.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Site Manager Staff Member

I don't know if anyone has done this as well, but I have been doing this for over 15 years.
    the tyres not only contain the soil or "growing medium" therefore avoiding the need to "earth up" but the rubber in the tyres traps the warmth of the sun and retains it for a long time.
    first obtain your tyres, obvious isn't it?, you need 3 tyres for each "tower" you are going to build.
    I generally lay down a covering of cardboard on the ground first, this is for weed suppression purposes, of course you could buy some weed control fabric instead but I tend to use what I can obtain.
    you don't really need this for just one tower as you can easily weed around one tower but if more than one tower is required sometimes weeds get in between and this makes weeding easier.
    so lay your cardboard flat on the ground where you are going to grow your spuds, if you can get cardboard sheets-great! but I generally get cardboard boxes and cut them flat.
    put your first tyre on the ground and arrange your ("chitted") spuds with space around them, no more than say 4 spuds will be required, you don't need to buy expensive "seed" potatoes, any potato will do, cover the potato with soil or whatever else you intend to use, I use cheap growbags-slit them open and pour the contents over the spuds, to the level of the top of the first tyre.
    in a while the potato plant will start growing, when its shoots come through the soil level place another tyre on top of the stack and fill with your "growing medium" or soil, when it grows through this, place another tyre on top and repeat the process, 3 tyres are usually high enough.
    if you build more than one tower, don't put them too close together or the tyres wont stack properly.
    don't forget to water and good luck.

2. lee

lee Well-Known Member

Interesting and good info, I won't be doing so much veg this year just sticking to toms, lettuce, radishes and the herbs.

3. nedbushcrafter

nedbushcrafter New Member

The more you earth em up the more spuds you get its a good idea but ya need loads of old tyres

4. lonewolf

I have always found 3 tyres to be high enough, depends on how many towers you want to build, in my experience 5 or 6 always brought in enough of a crop.

5. nedbushcrafter

Its a clever idea Loney my dad did similar but used ici fertilizer bags 4bags gave tons of spuds me I grow mine the old way

6. lee

lee Well-Known Member

I had some success with carrots in 65 litre containers, I just planted to many to close to each other but it worked ok.

7. lonewolf

wife grew some in bags a couple of years ago but the quantity was low.

8. WildWood1965

WildWood1965 Active Member

Before I tried this out the road noise given off by my tyres whilst driving around Plymouth was 68db. Since adding the potatoes it has gone up to 98db. I can't stand the noise any longer so I am afraid the spuds will have to go !

Don't be tempted to go on Dragon's Den with this idea as it will not go down well with Duncan Bannatyne.

And for that reason:

I'M OUT !

9. nedbushcrafter

:rofl::rofl::rofl: You get worse wild

10. lonewolf

having lived in Plymouth for over 40 years, its probably the roads that cause the noise, not your tyres or the spuds!!

11. sheepdog bob

sheepdog bob Member

You can also use old aggregate bulk bags, most of them are single use only now. According to the BBC's 'Gardeners Question Time', the main reason for low yields is not enough water, in above ground growing.

12. lonewolf

yes, like any other plant, you need to water regularly if it dosent rain.

13. sheepdog bob

sheepdog bob Member

The point I was trying to make was that it will need more water than you realise, even if you think you are watering generously.

14. lonewolf

yes water copiously.
    as I said previously, I have been growing spuds in this manner for over 15 years continually and the results have consistently been very good.

15. Prime

Prime Active Member

Bump for this.

Oca are a good alternative to experiment with as also yield a decent harvest , full of carbs and easy to grow.

The main upside is that they don't suffer with Potato Blight.

Can get some here if interested.

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/unusualtubers.html

Can also possible left to run wild and self seed and area for easy pickings in a Guerrilla Gardening type strategy

16. lonewolf

I've never had blight growing spuds in tyres, but had it when growing in open ground.

17. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer New Member

I've grow spuds in black bin liners and had very good yields

18. Marwood

Marwood Member

Potatos also grow well when the roots can run along concrete.. Mound of soil on top of concrete, mound can be 2 to 3 foot high about six foot wide.. I only tried this once as it looked like a filled in grave in the garden :)" but it worked