1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Post Fall Vehicles.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TeeDee, Apr 5, 2016.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

you'd have to be a very experienced sailor I think, more of a yachtsman than a sailor.
    a 30 footer is a big boat!!
    even a 16footer would be a handful, this is from persons with more experience of boats than me, i'm a landlubber!!
    if your going to go that route, you need to know what your doing, its not a case of going down the local marina when SHTF and nicking the first boat you see.
    the one my BIL uses has razor wire all the way around, and entry is via key card-exit the same way too, so its not as simple as just snipping off the padlock!!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

I was wondering more about handling a boat, sandbanks shift and charts need regular updating so I was wondering if a long term live aboard post SHTF would be too difficult for an amateur to reasonably manage.

There is also the issue of putting ashore as anyone watching could be there to greet you (or not as the case may be).

3. lonewolf

I think you need to know a lot about navigation and reading the stars and stuff, not just a matter of nicking a boat post shtf there is a hell of a lot more to it, of course if your just nipping over to the nearest small island you can see on the horizon, lots of them around the south coast, you might just make it.
    of course like you say you might have a "welcoming committee " on your arrival, a good set of binoculars or a telescope and your progress can be watched from afar.

4. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

I think even just a stationery moored boat offers some decent advantages even if you can't pilot it. Its weather tight , limited access , easy to secure , own fuel source on board , lighting , etc.

5. lonewolf

anything would be if you've got nowhere else I reckon, but boats-unless an ocean going liner- have limited space for both people and storage, some have tiny beds in the hull you cant even turn around on.
    wife knows more about boats than I do-i'm a landlubber!- as her family have more to do with sailing and yachting, her grandfather used to build the bloomin' things!!!!

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  6. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

I think from what you are saying you have in your minds eye smaller sailing vessels while I am envisaging larger Steel Trawler type designs.

7. lonewolf

yes indeed, sailing yachts are in the wife's ancestry.
    what about a narrowboat? you could just live aboard, no need to chug up and down the canals unless you wanted to.

8. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

Narrow boats could work. I'm a big unit and just find them restrictive. And they arn't made of Steel - I like steel.

9. lonewolf

i've never been on a narrow boat but wife has family who have.

10. Phil

Phil Member

Most narrow boats these days are made of steel,and go from two berths up to v10 or a dozen berths.
    Your biggest problem on canals would be loss of water because other people might not know how to use canals properly, especially at locks.

11. lonewolf

i wasn't thinking about moving about on one, i'm no sailor, but maybe living on one, just tie it up somewhere and live on it.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  12. Phil

Phil Member

That's fine of course, particularly if you can find a wide area and camo it up a bit.
    If the canal is long enough you could either use the diesel engine at 4 mph or a horse to pull one,as they did originally,but attach the rope about 1/3 of the length back from the bows to stop the horse pulling it into the bank.

On canal boat holidays I found it relatively easy to pull a six birth one along by myself for short distances,the big problem is to start it going, fairly easy after that.

13. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

Pulling a narrow boat inside a long tunnel and leaving it there would certainly give an element of covert security and protection.

14. lonewolf

yes it would, but you wouldn't have much daylight inside the boat.

15. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

From a survival aspect, canals are a rather poor bet. The average canal boat motors along at little more than walking the, the canal cut is only about a metre deep. No evasion and the water is not a security, from the perspective you guys were discussing earlier canal boats are really a suitable option, for an off grid and electricity free lifestyle however, they can be hard to beat.

16. lonewolf

it was just an idea, just sort of mulling it over, i'm no sailor, I hate the thought of being on water, I prefer dry land myself, but if it was tied up somewhere, not moving, its somewhere to live if bricks and mortar wasn't an option.

17. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

Fair point

18. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

It is quite possible to drain the underground fuel tanks of a petrol station using a 12v pump but it would be a waste of time because after the addition of a percentage of biofuel both petrol and diesel now have a very short shelf life. Central heating fuel oil is also a heavy oil, very similar to diesel but a lot more stable. To use it as diesel it needs preheating before it reaches your injectors.
    If you intend to run a vehicle after the shtf then I would suggest an LPG conversion on any 4x4. You can have a tank installed with a "wet leg" to dispense liquid LPG. It is also quite easy to set up a trailer capable of pumping out LPG tanks from vacant properties after the SHTF.
    I would start by saying that I like walking, canoeing and off road biking but I also use a quad tractor a great deal, small enough to go anywhere but still capable of working the land. However you travel I suspect fuel and congestion will be your biggest problems in the uk

19. lonewolf

i'm more inclined to keep it simple, either a pack horse or a donkey cart, a bicycle, a canoe if by water, or just "shanks pony", petrol or diesel supplies -even if one can make use of them- wont last long once the refineries shut down and there is no electric to man the pumps or the computers in the filling stations.

20. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

LoneWolf, if you examine your local filling stations forecourt you will quickly find a series of 100mm diameter pipes which feed directly to the underground fuel reservoirs. they are your access to the fuel. You don't even need to enter the filling station unless you need the toilet or want some crisps