1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Prepping.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by lonewolf, Oct 13, 2017.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

I think that prepping can and often is a very solitary task, especially when the vast majority of the population would not have a clue what one is talking about and deride it even when they do.
    even on prepping forums it can be soul destroying to realise that there aren't very many people on ones own wavelength and many treat it as a minor hobby at best and many only join for some sort of chitchat, like a glorified facebook or twitter feed.
    the names come and just as quickly go, how many are totally committed to the venture? very few I would surmise.
    I keep thinking of my old "Dartmoor" prepping group ,that was, as an example, of the 8 members of that group I am the only one that is still prepping full time, another is part time at best and all the others have given up and moved on, I think it is much the same with other groups.
    I know of at least two preppers who have been doing it since the late 1970's and early 80's and who have given up forums in disgust because of all the negativity and "I know better" attitudes that can be prevalent on some forums. they just prep for themselves and their families now.
    I'm referring to prepper forums in general and not just this one before anyone reading this gets the hump!:lol:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Keith likes this.
  2. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

Agreed, I don't let on locally about the prepping. They know very little about me. The only places that I can get advice or information are online or through books.
    My difficulty is sorting the wheat from the chaff as far as information is concerned, I've spent the last 14-15 years reading anything I can on the subject then going out and trying it before dismissing most of it as utter bollocks. I tried travelling in order to learn things first hand only to find that a lot of people have already lost their skills and exist on government handouts.
    The best places I've found for learning as I travelled were in Central and Eastern Europe. Hunting, trapping, subsistence farming and self building are all second nature there. The people have wide skill sets and are as self sufficient as its possible to be in a modern world.

Keith likes this.
  3. lonewolf

yes, nobody here knows about my prepping, I've tried to involve step family but they are all too busy on the "hamster wheel" that is modern life, this applies to most of the population I think.
    I have a certain element of luck on my side as my mothers family were all farmers-she had 6 brothers- and my wife was in farming, I've always had a serious interest in everything natural and countryside related, I was in the Boy Scouts and later did a lot of backpacking all over Dartmoor.
    I was an only child and was usually to be found alone beachcombing or wandering in the woods.
    I was always a bit different to the common herd, and that has followed me all my life.
    I am so different to most I sometimes wonder if I am a separate new species!:lol:

4. swamp rat

swamp rat Active Member

same here I don't tell or bother speaking to anyone about prepping around me which includes close family and friends. I just don't think they would get it, as LW says to busy on the hamster wheel.
    it is a shame but the media have always made us out as loony's ,crazy people. and I cant see that ever changing
    in the near future.

5. lonewolf

that's because the population is so far removed from self reliance as its possible to get, what is normal for us as preppers is not "normal" for most of the population. normalcy bias is not just words its an epidemic.
    just having a stock of toilet paper would be classed as crazy by most of the population.
    just to give you an example, we heard that our next door neighbour had sent her daughter over to another neighbours to "borrow" a roll of toilet paper- apparently they had run out!( how do you run out of toilet paper? we've got enough stocked for 6 months!) my wife said to the neighbour " I hope you told them you don't want it back after they've used it" it took a few seconds for that one to sink in!!!:rolleyes:
    this just goes to show how far apart preppers and "normal" people are.
    if that's normal i'm glad i'm not.

Keith likes this.
  6. Barbara

Barbara Member

Even OH doesn't know l call myself a prepper and, l didn't until recently. l just thought it was sensible to have food stored in case of bad weather or broken cars etc particularly as it's 10 miles to the nearest supermarket. There is a nearer shop but it just seems to sell a few newspapers and bacon butties to the passing wagon drivers. l thought it sensible to have more than one source of heating and cooking for the house aswell as a possible alternative source of water. These are all things l have thought about for many years and always considered in other houses we lived in. OH was saying just today that he will clear a space in his "shed" to store stuff in case we get snowed in. lf that's not prepping what else would you describe it as? (lt is currently 16 degrees outside) And yes, how DO you run out of toilet paper?

7. lonewolf

I was brought up to always have a store of stuff but then my parents were the WW2 generation, they knew all about shortages and rationing, besides shops didn't open 24/7 when I was growing up and supermarkets didn't appear in my area until about the early 1970s. so I grew up with it, my parents did it and my friends parents did it, that was what was considered normal then and you were an idiot if you didn't have a larder.
    so I just continued doing it. (through 3 marriages and umpteen flats and houses to the current one).

8. ystranc

Has it been the case that any of you have had to do without stuff in the past, really had to do without.
    I've often wondered what triggered me to be like I am. Like Barbara my home has different systems for heat and hot water, some high tech and efficient, some low tech but also powered by renewables. Like LW I spent a lot of my youth outdoors though I was on the West coast instead of Dartmoor.
    I just wondered if there is an underlying reason why we're not as complacent as the mainstream population.

9. lonewolf

well most of us have learnt through a lifetimes experience, some people just haven't had this yet, although some will never learn.
    and then of course there are those that think anything-even survival- is someone else's job or fault, never something that they should do for themselves, the "why isn't the government doing something? I pay my taxes" brigade.

10. ystranc

But what triggered you to Prep LW, what we do goes a lot further then having enough cans in the larder to get us through being snowed in,...or keeping a torch in the glove compartment of the car and a snow shovel in the boot during winter. What we do goes beyond the everyday common sense basics.

Harry Palmer likes this.
  11. lonewolf

yes but most people don't even do the basics, they drive in shirt sleeves in the winter with the heating full up and don't even have a warm coat in the back never mind a shovel, they carry a bottle of water because its trendy but no food.
    they don't even have a stock of emergency food in the house because they never expect an emergency to happen to them, it always happens to someone else they'll say. that's called normalcy bias and a lot of the population suffer from it.

12. Keith

Keith Moderator Staff Member

Good post mate & very timely. I am home again & catching up on emails. I have recieved some very rude comments on the Australian forums. For now I have added their names to my ignore list, but any more & I am out of there. What is it with people that simply don't get it?! And why the rudeness?! Do they feel so inferior reading my posts, or are they just ignorant & pathetic? I don't see the point in the Admin keeping people like this on the forum, if they were on my forum they would be gone!!! I don't have time for people like this.
    Keith.

13. Keith

We have always kept a good supply of free newspapers on hand as well. These were common use as toilet paper at one time, these days I guess it would not even cross someone's mind if they run out of toilet roll. But yes, the whole of the bottom shelf in one of the hall cupboards is kept full of toilet rolls:)
    Keith.

14. ystranc

Toilet roll, one of civilisation's greatest achievements.;)

Harry Palmer likes this.
  15. lonewolf

I've stopped buying the 16 roll packs, they take up too much room and the paper isn't that good, so i'm now stocking the 9 packs, easier to store, don't take up so much room, when we've used one pack I replace it so the stock is intact, how the hell does anyone run out?? I don't get it. surely toilet rolls are one of the main necessities of life.

16. lonewolf

glad to see your back home Keith, look after yourself after the surgery mate, it takes time to bounce back from this type of thing.
    as regards the above, yes there can be some very nasty people online but they don't usually hang around for long, any problems like that here and their gone, I wont stand for it, a difference of opinion is one thing, but out and out nastiness I will not tolerate. their history.

Keith likes this.
  17. Keith

Thanks mate, appreciated.
    Keith.

18. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Active Member

If your sphincter is working well and your stools are good you should be able to squeeze out a baguette and 'cut' it without a real need for loo roll.

Up in Arctic Norway we used snowballs as ass wipes, very effective they were too. Plenty of big leafs in Belize, plenty of greenery in many parts of the UK but...Andrex is good and you can save after use and use as a fire starter :)