1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

"slow Down For Deer".

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by lonewolf, Sep 29, 2016.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Site Manager Staff Member

Here in North Devon and Exmoor, where the large red deer predominates, the most risky time for deer collisions is right now, continuing through until early Winter, the 2 main reasons are increased deer movements during the mating season and shorter daylight hours.
    The number of deer injured and killed in England in crashes with vehicles is estimated to be in excess of 60,000 per year.
    For our 3 largest species of deer in the UK-red deer,fallow and sika- the mating season commences in late September with the peak or "rut" occurring in October. mature stags will already be on the move on their way from areas they have spent the spring and summer months, often to move many miles into the main female ranges, crossing many roads in the process.
    During the rut itself, deer of both sexes are prone to rushing blindly across roads with only one thing on their minds!!
    one of the most important things for road users to remember is, when one deer crosses the road there is another one not far behind!!
    PLEASE BE "DEER AWARE" THIS AUTUMN.

2. Kublai

Kublai Member

Try to "clip" back end of Deer, jump out of vehicle-finish off quickly--in the boot and home for backstraps and Tea:)

Sorry LW I couldn't help myself:(
    How long do I get in the "sin bin" mate.

mark wilson likes this.
  3. lonewolf

now its okay mate, nearly had a couple of roadkill deer when we lived in Glastonbury but both times someone beat me to it! probably just as well as we haven't got the room to gut anything that size in a modern 2 bed semi, I think i'll stick to pheasants!!

4. Kublai

Kublai Member

No mate just quarter it with the fur on and sort back at home:whistle:

5. lonewolf

collide with a deer and they can make a mess of your car, take it from me, i'm talking from personal experience!:p

6. Kublai

Kublai Member

I know my wife hit a Roe deer demolished the front of her car, the police came and put it in their boot lol. They called her "Bambi" at work for weeks lol

7. lonewolf

I hit one near Glastonbury one time, took out my nearside front headlight and it wasn't that big a deer.

8. lonewolf

there are now apparently 1.5 million deer in the UK, more than there has been for over 200 years, consequently the cases of Lyme disease have now increased by over 45%. better be careful out there in the woods!!

Brownbear likes this.