1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Use Solar Power To Keep Your Devices Charged During And After The Storm

Discussion in 'Natural Disasters' started by Keith, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Keith

Keith Moderator Staff Member

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

or do without.

Brownbear and Keith like this.
  3. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Active Member

No need to do without in this day and age LW, for not a lot of dosh you can have some power. Two or three years ago I got a set of solar power xmas light for about a fiver, about thirty LED white bulbs and they are still working (much to my surprise); easily enough light for a tent or small room for cooking et al. I've spent serious coin on solar kit and spent thousands on ham radio kit but adjust your budget to fit your needs. Get yourself a bog standard Kindle I'll email you more books than you have years left to read, set up a 'throw away' email account on yahoo or gmail and I'll start sending. You can install the kindle reader on laptops and phones if you don't want to buy a Kindle so this offer is free.

Prime likes this.
  4. lonewolf

thanks but no thanks, no power post SHTF and i'm keeping it basic and simple.
    as for kindle, I prefer real books, there is just something about a printed book that kindle dosent have.

5. swamp rat

swamp rat Active Member

I think it is a good idea to have thousands of books on a kindle or pc , it would not take up much room if you had to bug out
    I my self have a Samsung tablet with about a hundred books on it ,with a wind up/ solar radio that has a usb output for charging other devices
    both very small , with one hell of amount of information. both kept in an faraday box

if the shtf people wont suddenly go back in the stone age over night. just because someone does not now how to mine iron and work it , they will just cut up the nearest car ect

I don't know if you guys use torrent sites ,but there are thousands of books on everything you could think of on there

6. swamp rat

swamp rat Active Member

7. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

I personally don't understand why a person would choose to have only A) OR B) When you can easily have A) & B)

The advantage being you have a back up in case your physical books become burned/damaged/flooded etc - Books are large and heavy ( in volume ) but from a tactile perspective nice to handle and read.

A kindle is useful as you have 1000 books you can carry in one go , pass around , take on holiday and read - I really don't understand why people can't see the beneift of possessing both.

8. lonewolf

because i'm a bloody neo luddite that's why!:lol:
    and I don't think a kindle is the be all and end all, and I don't think they will last long post SHTF, and I just prefer having a physical book in my hand to read, not a lump of plastic, okay?
    if we all did the same as everyone else, like good little robots, life would be boring.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  9. swamp rat

swamp rat Active Member

I can see you don't like "the kindle" Mr Lonewolf , have you thought about an IPad
    they are quite good

:);):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. lonewolf

same answer.
    I have lived without power, I lived for 12 years off grid with just a paraffin storm lantern for light and a paraffin boiling stove for cooking- both of these were only used in the winter.
    living without power is not a huge undertaking, although some people try to make out it is, and post SHTF I don't want to be showing lights to those who don't have any.

The Real Survivalists likes this.
  11. lonewolf

that solar panel that you use to power your electric set up can also give away your location, just ask Tony Wrench(of "that Roundhouse" fame).:rolleyes:

12. Harry Palmer

"because i'm a bloody neo luddite that's why!:lol:" Sad, but true, your missing out LW.

You will give away your location burning wood way faster than a discreet solar panel.

Living without power is a massive undertaking, why not have a thousand books on a kindle for little or no financial outlay?

Do you have a brother in Germany?

Prime likes this.
  13. lonewolf

living without power is NOT a massive undertaking, its how humans have lived for most of our history, however a lot of people alive today have not had to try to live without power within their life times, they are the ones, not me, that will have the problem when the power goes off post SHTF, I know what to do, I've done it before.
    burning green wood is what will give away locations, wood needs to be seasoned before use.
    nice video, its a real pity I don't speak German as I couldn't understand a word of it!:rofl:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  14. lonewolf

15. Barbara

Barbara Member

While we still have electricity l will use it but l also have back up equipment for when it fails. OH couldn't understand why l kept his father's hand tools when he died (his father, not OH, he is still here, well l assume he is, but as usual we are doing our own things) especially as l have my own complete tool kit including electric drill etc. One of the best birthday presents ever. l like electricity as it means l can freeze stuff when we have a glut and l can then process it at my leisure if l want to do something else with it (jam, pickles, wine making). There is currently quite a lot of fruit (redcurrants, blackcurrants, gooseberries and blackberries) in the freezer waiting for me to decide what to do. l must try drying stuff.
    l just looked at this and l agree that we will be surprised at how quickly things fall apart without electricity which is why l am glad l live in quite a well found place. Should everything go belly up if l was away eg visiting my sons, l wouldn't be so smug as l reckon it would be at least a 10 day walk from theirs assuming road blocks and having to travel cross country. For that reason, l keep a "get home bag" at their house to give me a better than average chance.
    Keep on prepping!

lonewolf and Keith like this.
  16. Harry Palmer

But I won't be without the power I need because I prepare, the Luddite's will be stuffed though :)

LW, stock up on hot water bottles and cocoa powder.

17. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

*There are plenty of ways to generate electricity and a glut of the necessary components post SHTF.
    *while woodsmoke may give away your position the risks can be reduced by removing the bark, splitting the wood finer and only burning bone dry wood to get a more complete burn and create less smoke.
    * I personally like having electricity and would continue generating after an event but going back to a recent post I fear it may cause resentment if outsiders discovered we still had power. After all lighting a wood fire around here is nothing special and wouldn't stand out but lights at night without the Windows blacked out would soon draw unwanted attention.

Keith likes this.
  18. lonewolf

that's one of my points mate, a light shining will give away the fast that someone has power where others may not, even a candle will glow in the dark if a window is not covered, remember that in the war they had wardens going around saying "put out that light!".

19. lonewolf

I use neither Harry, we are a hardy bunch down here.

20. lonewolf

solar panels will also give away location, this is what happened to Tony Wrench, a pilot saw a light shining-which was the solar panel glinting in the sun shine- where no one was supposed to be, that got the planners on his back.
    i'm not the slightest bit technical minded, the one thing I refuse to have anything to do with is electricity, too dangerous if I don't know what i'm doing.which I don't.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017