1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

What To Womble

Discussion in 'Post SHTF' started by Prime, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Prime

Prime Active Member

So its the end of the world , post fall , SHTF , Even X etc etc

The world has gone to Hell in a Handcart and somehow you've survived the cataclysmic event - millions of other haven't but you have.

Most preppers feel the need to womble goods away in a mix between a trolley dash and scavenging run.

So in the first week after the event what would you be looking to obtain , from where and for what end? Some people call these resource maps other just have I.D certain items in their vicinity that they would happily have away if there were not fear of legal ramifications post fall.

So lets have them? What would you commandeer?

Phil and Keith like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Site Manager Staff Member

I've got a map of Devon, on that map I have drawn 3 circles around my location, at 1, 5 and 10 mile radius, anything I see on my travels goes on that map in the appropriate circle with a short note of what it is.

Keith likes this.
  3. Prime

Prime Active Member

Maybe a good idea to expand on that so the newer prepper types can get an idea of what to keep their eyes out for and why.

4. lonewolf

it depends on where one is and what is lying around.
    some of the things I have seen are firewood, coal, a grain store. one could also look at industrial estates for pallets, any other timber, large blue drums, also check canteens and tea rooms in the units for coffee, sugar, dried milk.
    near me I also have fishing lakes.
    I wouldn't bother with supermarkets or petrol stations or chemists as these will have been looted and trashed in the early days of the event, but look out for smaller shops- the Nisa and Spar type shops.
    try to think "outside the box".

Keith likes this.
  5. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

Firewood would be worth a scavenge - batteries for torches etc - any canned foodstuffs - scope out natural food sources (most reading this on here will know what within at least a couple of miles they can source in the way of wild food)

Obviously I would not condone looting - so avoiding stores and not breaking into other peoples houses is probably a good move.

6. Prime

Prime Active Member

I'd suggest the Road Signs powered by Solar Panels would be usable.

7. lonewolf

in a POST shtf world we would obtain supplies from wherever they were, especially in the case of food, although it might be wiser to make certain the place is unoccupied first!!!:p

8. Keith

Keith Active Member

Well first of all Prime, full marks for your post title. Now I have the Womble tune stuck in my head!!!
    We are off grid out bush, & frankly I would not be going into the city to get supplies. If we got wind of anything beforehand we may boost our supplies while it is still reasonably safe, but in my opinion post shtf would be too dangerous & not worth the risk.
    Keith.

Prime likes this.
  9. Prime

Prime Active Member

Hi Keith , yes i've seen your homestead posts - interesting setup.

How close is civilization in any form? Neighbour? Outpost? Fuel station? Airport? What would be your evac route in case of wild bush fire ?

Keith likes this.
  10. Keith

Keith Active Member

Our closest neighbour is a Brumby Sanctuary 10 minutes walk away. We have a small town about 35 klm away on a dirt road. A small city about 45 klm away. But we can get cut off in very heavy rains by creeks. Our escape route is by dirt road leading to a sealed road. It is possible that we could get cut off if we left it too late to leave, but we have a good 4WD so I am sure I can find a way out somewhere if we have to.
    Keith.

11. Phil

Phil Member

So awombling Phil will go:
    soap bars of lots,
    Salt,
    vinegars,
    bicarbonate of soda,
    magnesium chloride,
    batteries,
    homeopathic remedies,
    herbs and spices,
    check all farms for diesel tanks and trucks,
    Reloading materials.
    propane/butane tanks,

I'd also spend time cropping fences to allow animals more freedom so they can feed themselves.

Prime likes this.
  12. lonewolf

just be sure to duck when someone shouts "get orf my land!!":rofl:

Phil likes this.
  13. Phil

Phil Member

I forgot Fire Extinguishers,but how about a fire engine?

14. lonewolf

what you going to run it on? all the filling stations will be empty by then.

15. Prime

Prime Active Member

Can you tell me what you'd be seeking one for? I'm not discounting it but i'm interested in your reasoning.

16. Prime

Prime Active Member

That depends on the event - If its as per the 'Survivors' show it was a rapid and mass die off.

17. lonewolf

yes but that was a work of fiction, in reality it will probably take some time for the collapse and die off to run its course, maybe months rather than weeks.

18. Prime

Prime Active Member

LW Old bean - You can't say or state any of that with any veracity - If you want to only answer questions or involve yourself in threads that only submit to your personal viewpoint then fine I get it - I don't dig it , But I get it.

But for the rest of us - we can explore the subject matter from a variety of angles.

19. lonewolf

I am merely quoting standard prepping community theory, yes things could go more quickly, it would be better if the collapse was fast, get it over with and adapt to the new "normal" but most preppers don't expect it to be so.

20. Prime

Prime Active Member

But you've no issue if the rest of us explore such topics? A rapid fall as opposed to a slow collapse.

Good. We can carry on then.