1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Where To Practice Your Skills

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Darren, May 9, 2017.

1. Darren

Darren New Member

Totally agree, the fundamental basics are key! Ideally it would be better to team up with other like minded inderviduals, but it's not the easiest of topics to bring up.

ystranc likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

unless you know someone is into this stuff its very difficult to know how one will be received, maybe looked on as a trifle paranoid, and then you have let the cat out of the bag and they know your secrets, bad opsec!

3. scooter

scooter New Member

Hi Darren
    have you thought about asking the land owner for permission, because you can then
    tell him that you have a hobby in which you basically camp out in the woods spoon whittling and foraging for food
    it would help if you told him that you would not damage anything and you will only use fallen trees in the woodland (you can use the fallen trees for your fire or camp building) but be careful lighting fires in the woods as you may light a fire on top of peat which could potentially ignite it.
    and tell the land owner that it will only be you and your family so he does not think 30 or 40 guys are going to be trampling through his fields lol.
    best of luck
    scoot

ystranc likes this.
  4. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

Back to your original point, ask landowners first if you want to camp and prep on their land, at worst they can say no or laugh at you (been there alright)
    What you don't want is them getting worried and calling plod. You don't really want PC Keen turning up and asking why you're carrying an air rifle, axe or a survival knife.

Second point, fire lighting. I use a piece of charred shirt cotton as tinder, I strike a spark onto it then roll it around the spark as I blow on it to create a strongly glowing ember before adding it to kindling. It's not fancy but it works. When I travel my composite Flint is wrapped in the charred cloth and stored in a small ziplock bag as an EDC.

5. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

Traditional flint and steel is my preferred firelighting method. One is never short of firelighting materials once the various methods have been learned.

ystranc likes this.
  6. Marwood

Marwood Active Member

Had a lot of trouble with this myself.. All the waste land i played on as a kid is now houses.. No place to camp anymore or to light fires..unless i do it in the garden which aint the same as i cant light a fire until.after 7.pm but being summer in a built up.area im having to wait until October to practise fire lighting.. So ive been going on long walks down the thames. Taking binnoculers to watch what boats are coming into the thames..and generally trying to increase my fitness levels..

7. ystranc

If you get an OS map and also a definitive map of footpaths (available from your local council highways department) it's a great way to completely explore all the little known paths in your area. They're all potential escape routes if you need to bug out on foot. If you know them well beforehand it makes it a lot safer and easier to travel them at night.
    Avoiding the areas where druggies and pervs hang around is a lot easier if you've looked for signs of use during the daytime.
    I've been exploring the region around my home in this way for the last ten years. I know all the paths, hiding places and vantage points hereabouts. I've also gained shooting permissions on a lot of the private land in the area by simply talking to people.
    When I'm out walking I don't dress in camouflage or look like I'm a prepper in any way. I do nothing that makes me stand out
    A very well trained dog on a lead, wax jacket, corduroy and tweed country wear mean that I fit in well around here. The dog is a very pretty lurcher so people will go out of their way to talk to me about him. The first thing they ask me is"do you hunt with him" which gives me a starting place for a conversation which will often end in me getting a permission to shoot over their land being offered without me even having to ask.
    If I had been wearing my DPM camouflage and trying to conceal myself they'd not even have given me a moment to explain before seeing me off. Sometimes camouflage simply means dressing appropriately for your surroundings, a bit like 'the grey man' but with wax coat and tweed.

Marwood likes this.
  8. Marwood

Marwood Active Member

Yeah fully understand mate. I have a map of my area but know it very well. Glad you said footpaths as today our council have finaly cut the public footpath i havent been able to go down for over 10 years.. So thats one bolt hole back.. Im nearly always in camo though i just like it mate.. Helps me when and where i walk so not to be spotted by anyone.. I treat it like a game trying my best to avoid people :)

9. ystranc

I live in one of the few places where you can walk into the bank wearing a full ghillie suit but you'd still stand out like a Spurs fan in a Millwall stand.

Marwood likes this.
  10. lonewolf

people round here wear camo gear all the time, its normal working gear and nobody bats an eyelid, but anyone walking up the high street in a Georgio Armani suit would attract attention!! horses for courses!

Marwood likes this.
  11. Marwood

Marwood Active Member

Im lucky that the old ways of life still exist in my area.. Lots of people wear camo for trips out whether hunting or metal detecting.. Etc.. Its not unusual to see people walking ferrets or riding a horse to the shops.. Ive got a lovely warm serbian army winter jacket.. We have a military surplas shop a couple of miles away.. Anyone wearing a posh suit in my area would be a target for a mugging.. Camo has never gone out of fashion here.. Not all this new designer camo the kids wear. . old skool camo lone wolf.. Im sure you know the type..

12. Marwood

Marwood Active Member

Hahaha yes very true. In my area if your in camo then your a local:)

13. lonewolf

I sure do, got loads of it myself, the old fashioned camo and a couple of newer bits of the leaf pattern.
    my trouble is getting the size as i'm not exactly skinny!!:lol:

14. Marwood

Marwood Active Member

Yeah my weights up and down like tower bridge.. What didnt fit in the winter now does since ive been out walking again.. But my trousers are far to big now. I keep old camo coats that have had there day as the material still comes in usefull at some point..

15. lonewolf

I keep picking up camo jackets at car boots but have to put them down again as they wouldn't fit my left thigh never mind my chest!!:lol:

Marwood likes this.
  16. ystranc

Probably cadet kit... (Just keep telling yourself that, I find it helps) :rofl:

Well I'm off out to burn off some fat in the garden...see you later.

17. lonewolf

Cadet or kids kit, finding stuff my size is very few and far between although I did get a decent para jacket last year.

18. Marwood

Marwood Active Member

A few months back i brought a urban jacket with red camo as the dominant colour, it goes very well up against brick work.. Not much use for summer woodland cover, although i should imagine its very good for autumn time.. I try to get camo for every season of the year.. If i need to be out in winter i become winter.. Dont have any desert camo though.. Cant find a use for that in my area but may get some.. Could desert camo be any good for urban wear??.. Light blue and white air force camo passes well if im walking in late winter/early spring..

19. lonewolf

never come across red camo before, sort of a contradiction in terms.
    I live in the middle of hill farming country so I stick to traditional camo.

20. Marwood

Marwood Active Member

Yeah understand that. Its got black green, white and brown in it.. Seen that type of camo in african armys.. I got it from an army surplus shop.. Still il give it a try in autumn, when im out an about walking. To see what it blends in with, red skys, trees etc. But still prefer woodland colour camo, these modern day camos are good but im happier wearing what im used to.. Its all usefull though..