1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Where To Store?

Discussion in 'Post SHTF' started by Misterjay, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Misterjay

Misterjay New Member

hi all,

My cache is beginning to grow and I'm struggling to fit it all in my garage, along with my day-to-day stuff.

Where do you store your gear without it arousing suspicion/drawing attention?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

most of my gear is packed away in boxes and bags.

3. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

I have the luxury of plenty of space and privacy, canned reserves, plastic barrels of dried food and water IBCs are stored on a 6mx3mx1.2m warehouse pallet rack system in my disused carriage house.

4. Barbara

Barbara Member

Under the beds, top of the wardrobes, top of the kitchen cupboards, behind the bath panel, under the floorboards, use vacuum bags for clothing, blankets etc., behind the plinths of your kitchen units. Do you have a garden shed? Think creatively.

lonewolf likes this.
  5. Rhona Ann Oliver

Rhona Ann Oliver New Member

ours is in the cupboard and under the bed only have a one bedroom flat but not doing to bad so far

6. lonewolf

yep usual places, under the bed, on top of the wardrobe, up the side of the chest of drawers where there is a gap between that and the wall.
    heard of some who hide it behind the bath panel, can't do that myself only got a shower/wet room.

7. swamp rat

swamp rat Active Member

always a tricky question - on where to store stuff, but things like tinned food must be stored in a dry cool place
    this will normally narrow down your options, and might make it easier to make a decisions on where to put it
    I think you just have to look at your stock, and go from there

I know this is not much help, but everyone can only do what they can do
    a garage is great for a tent, but no good for canned food

I just use the spare bedroom ,and do not put anything against the outside walls, to reduce damp, cold, ect

8. lonewolf

sheds and garages are not usually used for storing food preps as there is too much temperate variation, too cold in the winter too hot in the summer, a cool dry place is best out of direct sunlight.

9. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

Frost and Heat are definitely bad news if you're storing food in sheds, frost will cause any water content to crystallise and expand, rupturing the seal on a jar or can. Heat can do the same as well as spoiling food by causing bacterial bloom that will leave you with a store full of spoiled and stinking waste food.
    We live in a fairly cold place, the coldest minimum temperature that I've recorded here was minus 25 degrees C. We had over 60 consecutive days of frost. We were lucky that we didn't lose any food as we were snowed up and we needed it.
    We store the dried food in the original packaging inside the sealed blue food grade plastic barrels in order to protect the food from damp, rodents and insects. The IBC cubes are bought cheaply from a soft drink manufacturer as they only use them once. Intermediate Bulk Containers make great water stores. 1,200 litres of water in each with 5cc of neat strong bleach added to ensure it stays safe to drink. We also have access to stored soft water to flush toilets.

lonewolf likes this.
  10. Barbara

Barbara Member

Just a quick thought. Lofts are not meant as storage spaces especially for heavy things. The joists are not designed for them.

Swampy might keep his tent in the garage but after the mice got at ours, it is now under one of the beds. Luckily it didn't need too much repair unlike the garden parasol which had to go out. The mice round here try everything - paint tin labels, cardboard packaging, the plastic container that had seaweed plant feed in and they absolutely loved the horticultural fleece.

11. lonewolf

when we had the last allotment I had some bags of horse manure stacked by the side of the shed, they were there for awhile before I needed them( I buy stuff when I see it not when I need it), I came along one day and removed the top bag and opened it up, out shot about a dozen mice and scampered off in all directions, I don't know who was more surprised, me or them!!:lol: